Friday, January 2, 2009

Christians, Americans, and “English-Only”

As an American citizen, I share the concern of many citizens over the issue of illegal immigration. The flood of undocumented people into our country presents a number of disturbing problems. How can our economy absorb all the people looking for work? How will our health care and education institutions meet the needs of these individuals and their children? Will our welfare system be able to manage the demands placed on it? How does the lack of border security affect safety and security in an age of terrorism? These are troubling questions and I claim to have no answers.

On the other hand, I am also increasingly concerned about the tensions, prejudices, and even hostility I see in our community over immigration issues. Sometimes the language used to discuss these problems sounds like racial prejudice in thin disguise. America has always been a nation that claimed to welcome immigrants (“give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”). But in reality, immigrants quite often have faced much prejudice and hatred—whether the Chinese working on the railroads, the Polish in Chicago, the Vietnamese boat people in Texas, and on and on.

The city of Nashville is about to vote on an “English-Only” amendment. The law would prohibit the city government from publishing official documents in any other language or from hiring translators to communicate with citizens, except to protect public health or safety. The proponents have some good points to make about the importance of immigrants in any country learning the official language so they can function and prosper (http://www.nashvilleenglishfirst.com/). But the opposition raises some very troubling points about the impact this legislation will have on the poor, on recent immigrants who have not yet had time to learn the language, and on the image of our city in a global economy (http://www.nashvilleforallofus.org/).

Sorting out all the social, political, and economic implications of this amendment is beyond my pay grade. For me, though, there is one question that seems pretty clear: What would Jesus do?

Jesus seems to have been little concerned with the politics of his day. For example, he swept aside the debate over Roman taxation with the simple exhortation to “give Caesar what is Caesar’s, and God what is God’s”—which didn’t answer the questions about whether the Romans had any right to be there or whether their tax system was just. Throughout his ministry Jesus made it abundantly clear that he was more concerned about the kingdom of God than worldly kingdoms—and that meant he was very concerned about the poor, the outcast, and the foreigners, even the hated Samaritans. I think Jesus would be less concerned about the cost to the city of providing translations than he would be about the impact on poor immigrants of refusing to do so.

Jesus said one of the two greatest commands is to “love your neighbor as yourself,” quoting Leviticus 19:18. Just a few verses later, God commanded the same thing regarding foreigners:

“‘When foreigners reside among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigners residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.” (Leviticus 19:33-34)

According to Moses, God loves the foreigners residing among his people, and they must do the same (Deuteronomy 10:18-19).

If I were an immigrant in another country, I would want to learn the language as quickly as I could. But I wonder how welcome I would feel if the citizens said their city would offer me no help until I could master their language well enough to navigate my way through the system. (Well, actually I don’t wonder that at all. I think I know exactly how I would feel.)

And I wonder what Jesus would say to us as we head for the polls. I can’t say for sure, but I think it might be something like: “Treat others the way you would want to be treated.”

7 comments:

Mark said...

Welcome to the world of blogging!

The issue you post about here is an emotional one for me, being married to an immigrant, and thinking of possibly bringing her 60-something year old father up eventually to live with us. I see a lot of this legislative effort as an attempt to clean up someone else's mess. The government needs to reform immigration laws, and to get a better system. Until that happens, we're all grasping for how to handle the situation with the illegals. The financial burden of handing out resources, education, and health care to people who don't pay taxes is understandably frustrating, but there's bound to be a better way to handle the situation.

This sure does send an uninviting message about our city.

See you around the blogosphere...

Mark

Rob McRay said...

Mark,

I agree with your concerns. The immigration issue is so terribly complicated. Even the tax question is not as simple as it sounds. Many immigrants who did not enter the country legally are still paying some taxes, including property taxes if they are renting, and sales taxes on whatever they purchase. Since Tennessee does not have an income tax, that means they are paying many of the same taxes for local government that we pay.

Whatever the solutions to the problems may be, refusing to talk to legal immigrants in their own language until they can speak ours does not seem a very Christian approach. Not to mention the fact that it does not seem an historically American approach either.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob,
It's probably best to not impute our political positions to Jesus.

My wife is an immigrant from El Salvador. I asked her what she thought about this proposed law, and she said that those who don't speak English should do what she and her relatives did before they learned English well: bring along their own translators. After all, the city government can't be expected to hire translators for every subgroup and their languages.

Having said that, I'm somewhat ambivalent about this law. And since I live in Wilson county, I don't get to vote on it anyhow.

Casey Perkins

Anonymous said...

"Sorting out all the social, political, and economic implications of this amendment is beyond my pay grade. For me, though, there is one question that seems pretty clear: What would Jesus do?"

Larry Wall says, the answer to the question, "What would Jesus do?", is probably "Something unexpected."
;-)

Casey

Rob McRay said...

Casey,

I agree about being wary of trying to assert what Jesus' political opinions would be. Personally, I do not see this as a political issue, but rather as a social justice issue. I'd like to chat more about your in-laws' experience, but no time right now.

And I quite agree that whatever Jesus would do, it would probably be something quite unexpected. I can imagine Jesus saying, "Rather than fight over what languages the government should use, why don't Christians focus their efforts on helping people learn the language skills they need to succeed?"

Thanks for posting.
Rob

Rob McRay said...

After giving the matter quite a bit of thought, I have deleted unsigned posts from the blog and established a new rule that all posts must be signed. I have also deleted my responses to those posts. Hopefully this will encourage a more positive environment for discussion and friendly debate. I was concerned that we were heading down an unwanted path.

Rob

Rob McRay said...

In discussions of the current immigration problem, I often hear comments that I think do not accurately represent the history of immigrant groups in America nor the true desire of most immigrants today. Many people think that most immigrants who have come in recent years, unlike earlier immigrant groups, don't want to be Americans, learn our langague, or value our culture.

Historically, I think most immigrants gathered in neighborhoods with others who shared their language and heritage. In many cities, you can still identify neighborhoods known as "Chinatown," "Germantown," or "Little Italy." In cities like Chicago and Milwaukee, many ethnic groups still celebrate days special to their heritage, such as St. Patricks Day for the Irish, Bastille Day for the French, Columbus Day for the Italians, Cinco de Mayo for the Mexicans, Casimir Polaski for the Polish, etc. Most immigrants today come here for the same reason the English Puritans came, the Irish came, the Polish came, the Swedish came, and the Chinese came. They come for freedom and opportunity and the "American dream."

The fact that they do not abandon their own heritage does not mean that they do not value ours. The fact that they still speak their own language, does not mean that they do not also want to learn ours or that their children are not learning ours (sometimes better than our own children).

At least that's been my experience, and my understanding of our history.

Rob