Monday, March 2, 2009

A People with No Home

Judy and I recently visited a new restaurant whose sign advertised Mediterranean cuisine. The menu included an appetizing mix of Greek, Italian, and Arab dishes. As we were waiting for our food, I overheard the man who appeared to be the manager or owner as he was speaking with one of the staff. I couldn’t hear much, but I could tell he was speaking in Arabic. I speak almost no Arabic ("hi", "goodbye", "how are you?", "God is great", counting to ten, and, sadly, a couple of unprintable phrases I picked up on the soccer field in Jerusalem), but it sounded like he had an Egyptian accent.

The waitress let him know that we’d like to meet him, and pretty soon he had pulled up a chair for a friendly chat. We learned he is a Coptic Christian. The Coptic church is sort of the official Christian denomination of Egypt. It is one of the oldest Christian traditions in the world—part of the broad Eastern Orthodox tradition, though somewhat unique. In recent years, Coptics have been facing increasing persecution from fundamentalist Muslims in Egypt. Many have left their homeland in search of religious freedom.

Our host was the second Coptic person I had met in Nashville (the first was a student in one of my Bible classes at Lipscomb). He told us that there are four Coptic churches in Nashville, with a total of some eight or nine hundred families. I knew Nashville had a growing Arab population, but I had no idea that there were so many Egyptian Christians here.

We also chatted a little about what it has been like in America since 9/11. I doubt I’ll ever forget his reply.

“In Egypt they hate us because we are Christian. In America they hate us because we are Arab.”

The first sentence is an indictment of the world, and a fulfillment of Jesus’ warning to his followers that this world would hate them. (Makes me wonder why I haven’t felt hated by my own country.) The second sentence is a stinging indictment of an America continually plagued by prejudice and racism.

Arab Christians increasingly feel like a people with no home in this world. They often face hostility from fundamentalist Muslims in their own countries, and find they are unwelcome among Americans who often see Arabs as the enemy. They are truly strangers and exiles in this world.

As a post-Christian America becomes increasingly secular and increasingly unfriendly to Christian faith and virtues, we may find that the plight of Coptic Christians will one day be our own. Considering the success of early Christianity under Roman persecution, maybe that won’t be such a bad thing.

In the meantime, perhaps we could all just be a little more sensitive to the very real possibility that the Arab person we meet in town just might be a fellow disciple of Jesus.

6 comments:

Dean Smith said...

This reminds me of why we can argue politics for hours and still remain friends - your heart is pure. Thanks for the reminder about our unconscious fear and prejudice, even as Christians. I find that the part of our culture that is most "unfriendly" to Christians is the part too many Christians have uncritically embraced. As my son said to me the other day, "We became a church that is of the world, but not in the world" (the worst of both worlds).

Rob McRay said...

Thanks, Dean. Don't know about the "pure" part, but I hope so. I'd be interested in an eloboration of your comment, "I find that the part of our culture that is most 'unfriendly' to Christians is the part too many Christians have uncritically embraced." I expect we'll substantially agree, though I'm curious why "unfriendly" is in quotes.
And I like Chris' statement. Too true.
Rob

Dean Smith said...

The part of our culture that sanctifies greed and selfish ambition in the name of God's favor. The part of our culture that sanctifies competition over cooperation and individualism over community. The part of our culture that confuses nationalism with patriotism and charity with justice.

Rob McRay said...

Dean,
As I expected, we agree. And I like your turns of phrase. The "charity for justice" line is especially insightful.

The only hesitance I would have lies in what is unsaid. I don't think your list accounts for the rising hostility toward Christianity in America. The list certainly points toward the negative impressoins of Christianity among young Americans, addressed in the disturbing book, Unchristian. However, we have observed in our life time, beginning really in the mid 60s, powerful shifts in our culture and society which have led to a dramatic rise in "unfriendliness" toward Christianity.

The confusion of immorality with personal freedom and secularism with social freedom have been significant contributors to the changes seen in Hollywood and the courts.

But, as your comments suggest, Christians have earned much of the criticism with their uncritical adoption of many cultural values. When the only perceptible difference between us and the world, is that we publicly oppose sexual immorality, while endorsing greed, militarism, and prejudice, then we can hardly expect a favorable reaction.

Rob

Dean Smith said...

I think you answered your own question.

Rob McRay said...

Nay, Dean. My question was about your opinion. I only elaborated on my own opinion. :-)

I miss doing this over lunch!

Rob